Why Eating a Healthy Breakfast is Important
Eating a Healthy Breakfast
For decades, nutrition experts and doctors have claimed that eating a healthy breakfast is the key to start an active day. Not only does eating healthy kick-start your metabolism, but it also helps in burning calories all through the day. A healthy breakfast can help in providing energy that you need to do things at school, home, or in the office. Many studies have even linked a healthy breakfast with better memory, low bad cholesterol, improved focus, concentration, ideal weight management, and controlled blood sugar and blood pressure levels.
Therefore, a healthy breakfast can be extremely helpful in performing better during the day, and supporting your well-being in several other ways.
Here are a few good reasons to eat a healthy breakfast every day:
- Provides the much-needed energy and nutrition: A healthy breakfast should be a perfect combination of carbohydrates and proteins. Carbohydrates give you energy to kickstart your day while keep your brain active and attentive. Proteins allow you to sustain this energy and keep you full until you grab your next meal.
- Helps in managing a healthy weight: As you age, you must have noticed that your waistline starts growing and your muscle mass starts declining. Eating a healthy breakfast in the morning keeps you full until lunch. If you skip breakfast, you feel hungry earlier and tend to overeat due to hunger pants. When your lunch is not yet ready, you end up choosing unhealthy foods that are instantly available in the vicinity. Breakfast is also important to gain the vitamins and minerals you need to stay healthy and immune to diseases.
- Controls blood sugar: Eating breakfast keeps your blood sugar levels steady throughout the day. Even if you are not suffering from diabetes, eating breakfast can avoid insulin resistance in future also. Increasing and decreasing blood sugar levels can have significant impact on your mood, making you feel angry, grumpy or nervous. If you skip breakfast, your blood sugar levels can decline drastically, leading to irritability, shakiness, tiredness, anxiety, irregular heartbeat, and even seizures.
- Supports heart health: Breakfast and heart health are interlinked. According to researches, people who do not eat their breakfast have more chances to develop atherosclerosis. In this condition, your arteries become hard and narrow due to accumulation of plaque. This can lead to more serious conditions like stroke and heart attack. Such people also tend to have a bigger waistline and obesity, which ultimately lead to hypertension and high cholesterol levels.
- Avoids unhealthy habits: According to a study, it was found that people who skip breakfast have higher chances of developing unhealthy habits, like smoking, drinking alcohol, and no exercising. Such unhealthy habits can eventually lead to heart diseases.
- Helps you perform better during the day: Whether you are a student, housewife, or office worker, eating a healthy breakfast can keep up your metabolism during the day. It can help you to remember, perform and pay attention in a much better way. Students are able to perform better at studies, and stay healthy so that they don’t miss school.
If you go to a gym, then eating a pre-workout breakfast can help in focusing and working out more. When you skip breakfast, your body enters into conservation mode, due to which your brain functioning slows down and you don’t feel energetic enough to keep up through the day.
5 Best Foods that Make a Healthy Breakfast
Now that it is clear that a well-balanced, nutritious breakfast can keep you energetic and prevent eating unhealthy food during the day, you must be thinking about what can be the best ingredients to make a healthy breakfast. Some of them are:
- Eggs: Eggs are delicious as well as healthy. These help in keeping you full, so that you end up consuming less calories in your next meal. They also help in maintaining your insulin and blood sugar levels. Egg yolk contains zeaxanthin and lutein, which are the antioxidants helpful in preventing eye diseases like macular degeneration and cataracts. They are also rich in choline, which is an essential nutrient to improve your live and brain health.
- Greek Yoghurt: This ingredient is nourishing as well as delicious. Since it is a creamier yoghurt, it has more concentration of protein. It can keep you full and increase your metabolic rate, so that your weight can be kept under control. It also contains CLA or conjugated linoleic acid that can boost your fat loss and reduce risk of breast cancer. The probiotics present in it help your gut to stay healthy. You can add a few chopped fruits and berries in it to increase the mineral, fiber and vitamin content of your breakfast.
- Coffee: Coffee contains caffeine that works wonders to improve your mood, mental performance, concentration and alertness. Since coffee can wake you up, experts advise not to drink coffee at night. Coffee also increases your metabolic rate and burns more fat. Since it is rich in antioxidants, it also helps in reducing inflammation, decreasing risk liver diseases, and keeping blood sugar under control.
- Oatmeal: If you are a cereal lover, then oatmeal can be an ideal choice for a healthy breakfast. The unique fiber contained in it is highly effective in reducing cholesterol and keeping you full. Its high antioxidant content also decreases blood pressure and improves heart health. But it is low in protein content, because of which you should prepare it with milk or eat some eggs or cheese with it.
- Cottage Cheese: Cottage cheese is high in protein, due to which it increases your metabolic rate, promotes feeling of fullness, and reduces levels of ghrelin hormone that makes you feel hungry. It also contains CLA or conjugated linoleic acid which promotes weight loss. You may add ground flaxseeds, chopped nuts, or berries in it to increase its nutrition content.
No matter how busy you are in your life, skipping breakfast will not only affect your health negatively, but it can also lead to weight gain and tiredness throughout the day. Make sure that you start your day with the right breakfast that can fuel your body with the right nutrients and help in maintaining your weight and overall health.